- 1Cut the onion into thin slices and sprinkle with salt and sugar and let sit for 8 to 10 minutes. (This draws some moisture out of the onion which facilitates the caramelization.) In a medium pot, melt the butter over low heat.
- 2Fold the onions into the butter until coated. Add the cloves and cook gently, stirring occasionally, for 12 to 15 minutes, or until sweet and golden brown. (The higher the heat, the faster the browning, but a good result is best obtained with low heat and a little patience.) Set aside and keep warm.
- 3In a skillet, sear the bacon over medium high heat until crispy and golden brown. Push the bacon to one side and add the fish fillet to the pan, seasoning as you do so.
- 4Sear in bacon fat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until the meat flakes easily when poked with a fork. Set aside and keep warm.
- 5In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Break one asparagus with your fingers to see where it breaks naturally.
- 6Cut off the dry, fibrous end of each asparagus and boil for 4 to 6 minutes or until almost tender. Serve right away.